Sunday 23 October 2011

Findings

I enjoy reading Harpers Bazaar and Vogue sporadically but I have to confess I couldn’t care less what celebrities are wearing. If I were to describe my style in three words I would choose "eclectic", "indie" and "vintage". Sometimes I wonder if I am an odd example of a fashion student as the majority of my wages are spent on books and camera film. To me fashion is art in a beautiful to look at way, ergo whilst I enjoy looking at what people are wearing I often resent being told by society to emanate them. Also I feel celebrities never get a break and it must be difficult for them. Alas I cannot remember the title but I once saw a magazine praise Naomi Campbell for an Alexander McQueen dress she wore then six pages later to my disbelief a different article completely slated her for the same dress, surely that is an editing mistake somewhere.  

However I made an amazing find. My uni library has shelves and shelves of magazines i've never come across before. Usually I scan through Retail Week as it is relevant to my lectures. Having some free time between lectures I decided to browse the titles to see the other offerings as I had been itching to read a few design titles. Purely because I like the colour purple I picked up Purple Fashion. After flicking the pages I would usually have put it back and forgotten all about it but I spotted gold dust.


Art Piece by Robert Montgomery

This I immediately recognised as on of my favourite pieces by Robert Montgomery. I hurriedly found the page again which was not easy as Purple is a considerable size. There was a lovely interview with Montgomery so I headed up to a comfy seat on the fifth floor beside the art books. I must say I was glad I was tucked away in the corner with no one looking over my shoulder as Purple contains quite a lot of nudity; I don’t particular dislike nudity I have just never seen frontal nudity in a magazine before. Indeed proving us British are awfully conservative.

I didn’t have enough time to read many articles so I looked online and amazingly if you sign up you can view the whole publication online for free. Definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment