Friday 17 August 2012

On the Road

I like books, sometimes people tell me that they "don't read books" and part of me is always dismayed and disbelieving of this as how can anyone be immune to their allure. I don't have a kindle or similar e-reader as I prefer pages but I embrace their presence if they open up literacy to new people. My only issue with reading is I can't stop, once I have started a book it must be finished with the utmost urgency disregarding all other social arrangements. Bookworm indeed.

I was first enlightened to the Beat Generation two years ago from reading an interview with a favourite band of mine (The Xcerts) which mentioned Jack Kerouac's On the Road. Making a mental note to check it out a few weeks later I was perusing my uni library in search of procrastination material and I found a few books analysing Beatniks and Kerouac I started reading them but admittedly I found the analysis difficult to understand instead I snapped up another book on the shelf, Charles Bukowski's Postoffice and I have only finally this week gotten around to reading On the Road. Often it seems I gravitate towards books about interesting people drinking too much and living too fast even though after reading I'm left with a sense of unaccomplishment from the characters. I like that it depicts a life that could be real.

Excited for the film, On the Road UK release date 21st October 2012 (according to IMDb). I'm crossing my fingers that the music will be as brilliant as I expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment