Friday 11 November 2011

Art & Fashion by florence Müller


The discussion of whether fashion can be art is a topic which appeals to me a great deal. I borrowed Art & Fashion by Florence Müller from my uni library last week. It mentions Salvador Dali in the blurb which is why I took it out as I am a fan of his work since reading Salvador Dali by Dawn Ades after I saw an interview in which favourite comedian of mine, Noel Fielding mentioned Dali.

The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali
One of his most famous paintings The Persistence of Memory features the recurring element of "soft clocks" which I find rather pleasing. I recently served someone at work that had this as the design on their credit card, we did start to have a fun conversation but her friend was unaware of Dali and dragged her off. If you’re a fan of his work I recommend trying to find the Channel Four Documentary, Dirty Dali: a private view, it gives a really interesting insight into his life from the first hand experiences of one of his acquaintance’s, art critic Brian Sewell.

Art & Fashion is set out so that the first section is all writing and this is then followed by a second section containing illustrations and photographs of designs to show the reader Müller's theory. Focusing on collaborations between artists and designers Müller explores the reasons why art and fashion work together. Interesting read, although short.

No comments:

Post a Comment